General Maintenance Worker – Grounds (23-33)
Northern College is seeking a General Maintenance Worker – Grounds in our Plant and Property department. The successful candidate will possess a solid understanding of grounds maintenance and general knowledge of building maintenance and able to perform regular preventative maintenance tasks and perform work in one or more of the skilled trades. The incumbent will posses troubleshooting skills, carpentry, plumbing and welding skills. Knowledge of mobile equipment and small engine repair, air compression and hydraulics is an asset. The incumbent will be expected to work independently and with other team members, and to a superior safety standard at all times.
At Northern College, we’re committed to the ongoing success and development of everyone who passes through our learning spaces, whether they be our students, employees, or community members. We believe in investing in those who invest in us, constantly working to build a collaborative and friendly working environment while offering top tier benefits and generous pension packages to our eligible full-time employees with purposeful, rewarding work, supportive supervisors and positive, engaged work teams.
Reporting to the Manager of Plant and Property & Health and Safety, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing a wide range of general building maintenance repairs and services for all Northern College’s Haileybury Campus buildings and grounds.
What you will be doing:
- Perform general grounds maintenance work with duties that include, grass cutting, maintaining planting beds, spreading mulch, snow removal, shoveling, etc.;
- Operate all types of grounds equipment, including tractors, walk behind equipment, and vehicles;
- Perform repairs to grounds equipment;
- Maintain parking meter equipment;
- Paint interior and exterior walls, cabinets, doors, and other ground structures;
- Assist with assembly and/or moving and placement of furniture and other equipment;
- Assist with installation of ceiling grid and ceiling tiles, framing and drywall, plaster and paint of interior partitions, flooring, and carpeting;
- Assist with monthly inspections of fire extinguishers, standpipe systems, fire hydrants, emergency telephones, first aid kits and eye wash stations; and
- Respond to after hours and weekend callouts for security or maintenance related issues.
A detailed job description is available from the Human Resource Services department.
What you will need to be considered:
- 1-year certificate in a related trade or field;
- 2 years of experience in large building maintenance;
- Ability to operate grounds equipment (e.g., riding lawnmower, tractor, snowblower) and small hand tools; and
- Valid Class G Driver’s License.
The incumbent may be required to provide a criminal reference check.
As part of Northern College’s action on reconciliation, the College recognizes its responsibility to make a difference through increasing the number of Indigenous employees who work in the academic field. We encourage applicants who identify as Indigenous to apply.
Northern College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. To request reasonable accommodation at any time during the selection process, please contact the Human Resource Services department. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Northern College values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Northern College, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
To apply, submit your covering letter and resume online at www.northerncollege.ca/careers/
Careers at Northern
At Northern College, we’re committed to the ongoing success and development of everyone who passes through our learning spaces, whether they be our students, employees or community members.
We believe in investing in those who invest in us, constantly working to build a collaborative and friendly working environment while offering purposeful, rewarding work, supportive supervisors and positive, engaged work teams.
Benefits of Working at Northern
In addition, total compensation may include:
- A secure and sustainable defined benefit pension plan
- Top tier group insurance benefits (medical, dental, life insurance, etc.)
- Professional development opportunities
- Tuition assistance for employees and their family members
- Free access to our Wellness Centres (Gym)
- A corporate wellness program
- Relocation expense reimbursement
- Work from home opportunities
- Generous vacation and time off during holiday closure
- Preferred insurance rates from TD Insurance Meloche Monnex
- Employee Assistance Program
Not seeing a job posting in your field of expertise? You can still send us your application!
Eligible applicants may be considered for unposted roles and certain part time and contract opportunities.
General applications and employment related inquiries can be sent to:
Human Resource Services
4715 Highway 101 East
South Porcupine, Ontario P0N 1H0
P.O. Box 3211
Timmins, Ontario P4N 8R6
Thank you for your interest in working at Northern College.
Having trouble with the online application form? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
You can also email your application, quoting the competition # in the subject line, to email@example.com.