Technical Support Specialist (23-28)
Northern College is seeking a Technical Support Specialist in our Information Technology department. The successful candidate will possess excellent analytic skills for planning, implementing and executing Information systems upgrades, or new systems, in an Enterprise information technology environment while leveraging a heightened knowledge of cybersecurity best practices.
At Northern College, we’re committed to the ongoing success and development of everyone who passes through our learning spaces, whether they be our students, employees or community members. We believe in investing in those who invest in us, constantly working to build a collaborative and friendly working environment while offering top tier benefits and generous pension packages to our eligible full-time employees with purposeful, rewarding work, supportive supervisors and positive, engaged work teams.
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer and Director of IT, the successful candidate will perform various complex and non-routine tasks associated with the implementation of computer software application services for all user departments College-wide.
What you will be doing:
- Manage computer access account system/files/folders/directories for staff and students;
- Provide software applications to all staff and students;
- Provide email services to all College staff;
- Ensure the proper functioning, as well as the planning, scheduling, coordinating, and performing modifications of purchased and developed software programs;
- Provide support services and technical advice, at a high competency level, for all database platforms including researching, testing, and reporting of any problems brought forward by staff and ensuring that issues have been resolved, tested and documented as complete; and
- Provide support services and technical advice, at a high competency level, in the following domains: computer users, ensure the proper functioning of all data, and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) networks, network routing and switching, network infrastructure design , QoS (Quality of service), security systems (e.g. firewalls, encryptions systems), computer and Cisco programming , college wide data back-up systems, Wide Area Network (WAN), Virtual Private Network (VPN), and core servers systems.
A detailed job description is available from the Human Resource Services department.
What you will need to be considered:
- 3-year diploma in computer science or a related discipline;
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience;
- Expertise in the operation of Citrix Metaframe, Microsoft Exchange, and file storage servers, along with Windows Advanced Server operating systems.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate Certification, Microsoft Engineer Certification and Networking Essentials Certification or other related equivalent certifications.
The incumbent may be required to provide a criminal reference check.
As part of Northern College’s action on reconciliation, the College recognizes its responsibility to make a difference through increasing the number of Indigenous employees who work in the academic field. We encourage applicants who identify as Indigenous to apply.
Northern College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. To request reasonable accommodation at any time during the selection process, please contact the Human Resource Services department. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Northern College values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Northern College, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
To apply, submit your covering letter and resume online at www.northerncollege.ca/careers/
Careers at Northern
At Northern College, we’re committed to the ongoing success and development of everyone who passes through our learning spaces, whether they be our students, employees or community members.
We believe in investing in those who invest in us, constantly working to build a collaborative and friendly working environment while offering purposeful, rewarding work, supportive supervisors and positive, engaged work teams.
Benefits of Working at Northern
In addition, total compensation may include:
- A secure and sustainable defined benefit pension plan
- Top tier group insurance benefits (medical, dental, life insurance, etc.)
- Professional development opportunities
- Tuition assistance for employees and their family members
- Free access to our Wellness Centres (Gym)
- A corporate wellness program
- Relocation expense reimbursement
- Work from home opportunities
- Generous vacation and time off during holiday closure
- Preferred insurance rates from TD Insurance Meloche Monnex
- Employee Assistance Program
Not seeing a job posting in your field of expertise? You can still send us your application!
Eligible applicants may be considered for unposted roles and certain part time and contract opportunities.
General applications and employment related inquiries can be sent to:
Human Resource Services
4715 Highway 101 East
South Porcupine, Ontario P0N 1H0
P.O. Box 3211
Timmins, Ontario P4N 8R6
Thank you for your interest in working at Northern College.
Having trouble with the online application form? Please contact email@example.com for support.
You can also email your application, quoting the competition # in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.