An apprentice is someone who learns a skilled trade on the job under the direction of more experienced workers. Apprentices are employees and earn a salary while they learn a skilled trade. Apprentices also complete classroom instruction offered at a community college as a part of their training.
The duties of an apprentice become more complex as their skills improve. Upon successful completion of the trade requirements, apprentices earn a Certificate of Apprenticeship or a Certificate of Qualification (“ticket”) that allows them to work on their own at a higher rate of pay.
The Benefits of Apprenticeships
- Train to meet the needs of new and emerging trades and occupations.
- Study curriculum and participate in training that are designed and supported by industry.
- Experience integrated hands-on training and enhanced “in-class” curriculum.
- Earn while you learn; increase your earning power as you progress.
- Enjoy a career that is motivating and provides opportunities for continued education.
- Become the solution to a forecasted critical shortage of skilled trades’ people throughout the province.
Red Seal Preparation
Industrial Millwright Mechanic, Automotive Service Technician, and Construction & Maintenance Electrician courses cover preparation on how to write an exam and covers materials relevant to the trade exam.
Red Seal Preparation Courses for Level 3 for each of our programs are also offered to the general public.