Our Pilates classes are open to everyone regardless of fitness level or experience. Registration cost is for 8 classes that run every Thursday (once a week for 8 weeks) from 4:00pm to 5:00pm.
Pilates is a system of exercises inspired by calisthenics, yoga, and ballet. Pilates, or the Pilates Method promotes mobility, strength, stability and flexibility, and develops the body through muscular efforts that stem from the core. Similar to yoga, it encourages deep conscious breath work that creates softness and space to facilitate proper alignment. This class is suitable for all age and levels, and will focus on the essential principles and exercises of Pilates with a focus on both lengthening and strengthening the entire body. The class will incorporate music to fluidly transition from one exercise to the next, creating an awareness of the body, and will with time create movements that are both efficient and graceful. Pilates promotes mobility and strength of all the major muscle groups in the body in a balanced fashion, whilst also having a key focus on the deep core muscles. It improves posture, flexibility, strength, balance and body awareness.
The health benefits of Pilates include:
- improved flexibility
- increased muscle strength and tone, particularly of your abdominal muscles, lower back, hips and buttocks (the ‘core muscles’ of your body)
- balanced muscular strength on both sides of your body
- enhanced muscular control of your back and limbs
- improved stabilisation of your spine
- improved posture
- rehabilitation or prevention of injuries related to muscle imbalances
- improved physical coordination and balance
- relaxation of your shoulders, neck and upper back
- safe rehabilitation of joint and spinal injuries
- prevention of musculoskeletal injuries
- increased lung capacity and circulation through deep breathing
- improved concentration
- increased body awareness
- stress management and relaxation.
Regular Pilates practice can also promote mental clarity and calmness; increase body awareness; relieve chronic stress patterns; relax the mind; center attention; and sharpen concentration.
Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your pilates class to get a space where you feel most comfortable.
Wear comfortable clothing, bring a water bottle and your mat.
If you would like to be notified when additional dates are available, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the course name and you will be added to our notification list.