Haileybury School of Mines
Over a Century of Excellence
Located in Temiskaming Shores is the Haileybury School of Mines (HSM), the internationally known institution that has been training and educating some of the world’s best miners and technicians for more than a century. Northern College’s Haileybury Campus was formerly the HSM building.
The school was born out of the need to meet the ever-increasing demand for technically trained miners for the legendary silver camp in Cobalt, in the early 1900s. The Haileybury School of Mines filled that need and now more than 100 years later it’s still providing highly trained technicians that continue to be in demand by mining companies across Canada, and throughout the world.
The global network of leaders in mining and related technologies; Successful and sustainable in all resource enterprises.
To ensure our students an accessible, challenging educational experience that leads the global mining community.
HSM is committed to:
- Being creative, optimistic, flexible educators and lifelong learners
- Assuring we are open, consultative, accountable, and that we act with personal responsibility and integrity
- Maintaining a caring, friendly atmosphere
- Pursuing partnerships and entrepreneurial opportunities to better serve our stakeholders
- Using our resources responsibly and ethically
- Developing employability linked to global opportunities
- Enhancing the participation/enrolment of international students locally and abroad
- Serving as a global center of excellence and innovation in the resource sector Guiding Principles
- Learn to earn
- Portable skills for global careers
- Real-world, hands-on experience
- Learning for life
- Value for your learning investment
- Responsiveness and responsibility to our communities
The Haileybury School of Mines (HSM) has a long and respectable history dating back to 1912. Over 2,000 graduates have come through HSM and have pursued careers in mining and mining-related fields throughout North America and around the world.
In addition to training students at home and welcoming international students to Haileybury, HSM has also provided expertise to schools of mines in Zimbabwe and Chile, and has taken the lead on numerous international mining education and training projects.The Haileybury School of Mines filled that need and now more than 100 years later it’s still providing highly trained technicians that continue to be in demand by mining companies across Canada, and throughout the world.