Deferrals, Withdrawals & Refunds
Withdrawal & Refunds
Visa Refusal Deadline
Students whose visas are refused may apply for a refund (subject to a $500 fee).
In order to qualify for the refund:
- Complete the refund request form. Please double check if you have received the COR (Confirmation of Registration) letter from the college before you complete the refund form. The college will not be responsible for any refund delay due to the submission of incorrect refund forms and/or incomplete refund documents.
- You will be required to upload a copy of your IRCC – Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada refusal document
International students who are voluntarily withdrawing for reasons other than visa refusal may be considered for a partial refund. In order to request consideration:
- Withdraw acceptance of your offer via OCAS IAS portal
- Complete the refund request form. Please double check if you have received the COR letter from the college before you complete the refund form. The college will not be responsible for any refund delay due to the submission of incorrect refund forms and/or incomplete refund documents.
- If you have questions about the withdrawal or refund process, email email@example.com
The deadline to withdraw with refund for Winter 2024 Intake is Tuesday, January 23, 2024 (Day 10 of the semester).
There will be no refund of international health insurance fees after January 31, 2024. Non-refunded insurance is valid anywhere in Canada after withdrawal.
Winter 2024 semester deferral deadline is January 23, 2024.
Provided that there are still seats available for your program of choice in the next available intake or for any alternative programs. Deferral requests will be processed basing on First Come, First Serve basis. Deferral requests after this deadline will be assessed case by case and there is no guarantee that the request will be approved.
Deferral Process & Information
- Please submit your deferral request through OCAS IAS
- Any deferral request is encouraged to be submitted as early as possible. There’s no guarantee that there will be seats available as we near the deferral deadline.
- Students can be deferred only once to the next available intake without paying another $100 application fee if they wish to study with Northern when their visa is delayed and that there is still a seat available for the program or for any alternative program by that point in time.
- A deferral must occur within one year from their visa refusal date and/or from the original admitted program start date. Each student can only be deferred once per college application.
- Any other deferral request in that year will not be accepted. Students will have to re-apply for the program if they wish to study at Northern again.
International Student Q & A
1. What is the deadline to drop from the registered courses for each intake?
The deadline for deferral, withdrawal/refund or course drop will be the day 10 of the Specific semester. Students can either find the information from email notifications of the college or refer to the information via College Academic Calenda. There will be no extension after this deadline. Students who got visa approval but will not be able to arrive on campus before the class start day/First Day of Classes of that semester will need to submit deferral requests via OCAS IAS portal for next available intake.
2. In case of visa refusal, will the student be allowed to defer to next available intake? If yes, what would be the last date to apply for deferral?
Students can request a deferral (provided that they meet the deferral conditions on our website) if their visa is refused. They must submit the deferral request via international OCAS IAS portal (where they submitted their program application to the college). Submit your deferral request as early as possible in order to obtain a seat for next available intake. Please refer to the information at https://www.northerncollege.ca/international/deferrals-withdrawal/
3. Will late arrivals be accepted if they receive their visa after the start date of classes for a specific intake?
Late enrollment and Late arrival after is NOT permitted. Any late arrival after the Semester Start Date/First day of Classes is disruptive to programming for which student work groups have been formed, lessons and projects launched etc.
Students who got visa approval but will not be able to arrive on campus before the semester start date/First Day of Classes will need to submit deferral requests via OCAS IAS portal for next available intake.
4. If students miss the refund deadline of that semester due to various factors which are out of the students’ or the agents’ control, for example, they are waiting for the approval of their visa requests, can they still be refunded?
Students must pay attention to each of the deadlines the college published and strictly follow these deadlines. They must evaluate their visa processing timeline, the potential risks and then make their own decision whether to submit their refund application or not by the deadlines. The college can review the case but there’s no guarantee that a late refund application will be accepted/approved after these deadlines.